
It's been almost a month since my last post, but I've been writing 'em. Just too busy to post, I guess. I try to screen my entries, so as not to bombard you with life-minutia or boring stuff.
Three weekends ago, on the first cool Saturday of Atlanta's autumn, my baby sister and I took in a beauty-doc double-feature: The September Issue and Good Hair. What a fun, thought-provoking and timely way to bond with my favorite fashion-junkie - my little sister, Kels. We left both films deep in thought, debating and laughing on the way home.
As a long-time Vogue reader (I read the actual articles, no less!!! LOL) I was more excited to view The September Issue than the Chris Rock film. The PR campaign for this doc was especially strong and, coming off the momentum of The Devil Wears Prada controversy, Anna Wintour is a closely-followed, polarizing personality, wearing her distinctive blunt-cut bob and shades. This doc is considered the official answer to that book and the subsequent movie. I became interested in fashion-mag production by accident - as a mass communications major at a small liberal women's college. I've read fash-mags like the average young woman since adolescence. After studying the theory and business of magazine publishing, and regularly reading Vogue, my appreciation grew. It really is THE foremost mag of its ilk. Then, right after undergrad, my cable-provider began to carry Style Network. I've got a whole post planned for the future about that course in my fashion education, but it's lengthy so ...
The documentary it's self was neither uncomfortable or endearing - the camera went behind the doors of Vogue, and show us the work, politics, and thought-process (or lack thereof) behind the publication of the largest issue in Vogue magazine history. I remember that Issue (from two Septembers ago) - it was smaller than a phonebook, but larger than some of my college textbooks, full of ads and fashion spreads. We saw Wintour at work, but didn't really come to understand much of her work process. We got to know, love, and then root for former fashion-model, Grace Goddington. At the same time I saw very little of the who's and the brainstorming session that drive our country's fashion aesthetic. What I did see where the inspiring. quirky, endearing men and women who weld the power of fashion. This was truly enjoyable documentary - an nice counter to the salty-sweet "Devil Wears Prada".
Good Hair was equally enjoyable, but not because of it's message - because it didn't have a clear one. As usual, Chris Rock is equal parts respectful, inquisitive, funny, and observant. However, the film glossed over the negative parts of the "black hair debate" and flat-out ignored some of the history and context. I applaud Rock's efforts to be non-judgmental and trying to not offend. I especially enjoyed seeing my stylist on the screen - Jason Griggers (the white guy, whom by inference, should have...wait, I won't ruin it for you.) If you're a woman of Black ancestry, see the film, so you can at least know what other folks are talking about. Viewing it spurred me to drive straight home and end my failed attempt at a full sew-in weave.
All in all, it was a great weekend - enjoying thought-provoking docs and hot chocolate with my baby sister, and thinking about beauty in all it's forms. The best two quotes from
the films, IMHO:
"There's a famine of beauty right now. My eyes are thirsty." - Andre Leon Talley, The September Issue
"If a woman aint happy with herself she aint gon' bring nothin' but pain to every f'in body." - Ice-T, Good Hair
Things I'm Feeling:
- All things Latin: History, Music, and Foods
- Three Buck Chuck
- Getting ready to start graduate school
- The holiday spirit
- Stalking the Anthropologie & J.Crew websites
Be easy, breezies!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment