Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Throwback Blog #21

The moral of this entry - blogging (or tweeting, or other trendy networking thingy) and gloating is annoying. It was fun to write, though...
=============================================
Originally posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 at 2:37PM

and Iiiiiiiiiiiiii ammmmmmmmmm telling you............
Current mood: ecstatic
Category: I finally saw it! Movies, TV, Celebrities

I'MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM NOT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING!

I'm gloating....I saw an advance screening of Dreamgirls and I must say - Bill Condon and the cast tore it down.

Even if you've never seen the Broadway show, never heard the classic "I'm Telling You (I'm Not Going)", or don't know a thing about Jennifer Holiday, PLEASE GO SEE THE MOVIE around Christmas. Support some Black actors and actresses, support Broadway, support musicals, support a good story.

On the cast: So yeah, the elephant in the room is Beyonce vs. Jennifer...it's a draw to me, but their individual parts are so different. Ignore the gossip and speculation and see both divas-in-training chew scenery and sing like they owe the director rent. You can tell Jennifer Hudson is not an actress, but she did well and was believable. She deserved the role and I honestly couldn't see the Fantasias of the world standing in those shoes. Eddie Murphy deserves an award. Jaime Foxx is refreshingly understated.

On "The Song": Well, Jennifer Hudson made it her own and blew it out of the water. That said, the original version will always be the definitive version for me - The one I sing in my bathroom mirror and in the car to, the version in which I can mimic every hiccup and growl, the one that has a prime spot on my"ANTHEMS" play-list. Sorry, Jenny Hudson. but your version is appreciated. I marvel, even. The Holiday version is still tops. Also, I never realized how unsung "One Night Only" was. "Listen" is now added to the anthems list as well.

On the story: I'm a student of the Motown story and love the way the play, and now the film, weave fibers of real artists and their lives into these fictional characters. You see all the Motown players - the Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Tami Terrell, Berry Gordy, Eddie Kendricks, and of course, the Supremes. The 'Yonce's place in this film is relevant to me because, since the Destiny's Child fiasco, the obvious comparisons between the two groups have come up so many times. I'm glad the producers gave her the role. Her acting is getting better and she, too, was believable.

On the fashion: Loved it, even though I always say the 1960's were a regrettable time for hemlines and hairstyles, period. The 70's were a mess, too, but bell-bottoms, slim pantsuits, and Afrocentric attire are still dope. Effie's hair left me with many question marks.

On the screening itself: The crowd was racially-mixed and generationally-balanced. I was honestly surprised and pleased. Yes, we clapped and hollered when "The Song" was finished. Beyonce got a smattering of applause. Eddie Murphy got loud laughs. The theater had to open an additional screen, because folks were bootlegging the tickets and a few tried to get rowdy when they weren't allowed re-admittance. K and I had dope seats and sat near to two gay white guys who were rapt the whole time. There was this really stank-acting chick sitting beside me though, sucking her teeth, looking at her watch, and cutting her eyes at us when we clapped. Truthfully, crowds in Atlanta are almost always nonchalant and blase at events. I never will forget going to see Jill Scott and feeling like the only person in the room who appreciated her. Meredith, Tracee, and I stood almost the whole time. Most of the folks around us just sat looking like they were waiting for dentists appointments. Ugh. Everybody wants to be cool, holding up the wall, when they know they are geeked to hear their favorite songs. Artists don't even want to do second and third-encores here. At this much-anticipated screening, where you obviously had to go out of your way to attend on a weeknight, at least act like you care. Really....


Yes, I shed some tears.

Yes, I'm promoting Dreamgirls shamefully. Pick up the original Broadway soundtrack and the new film soundtrack on CD at Starbucks and other retailers. (I had to take it there....LOL)

Yes, I'm bragging about seeing it before most folks.


Yes. I'm happy.


Oh, yeah. Pray for T and I to have safe travels tomorrow. We're driving down from Rochester back to ATL. Road trips are crazy.

No Proust Questionnaire this time.....one can't wax philosophically all the dang time.

Be easy, breezies!
===============

Currently listening : Dreamgirls (1982 Original Broadway Cast) By Henry Krieger Release date: 25 October, 1990
2:37 PM - 2 Comments - 4 Kudos

Comments -

Mrs. LyrakaL
Ooooooh!!! I am sooo jealous. I love movies like these and your analysis just solidified my already high expectations. This movie should go right up there with Sparkle in my book. Thanks for the behind the scenes info... but I am still jealous......LOL!! Love ya
Posted by Mrs. LyrakaL on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 6:43 PM

Corenthia
I was determined to see it on Christmas but was unable to but we saw it the next day. The last time I clapped and cheered in a movie theater was when Tina Turner was running across the freeway to get away from Ike. Everyone was into Dreamgirls in the theater and I would highly recommend seeing this movie.
Posted by Corenthia on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:00 AM

No comments:

Visits