On discovering old friends, acquaintances, and classmates are gay via social networking sites:
All but one of my former flames (read: three unrequited crushes and one faux boyfriend) and a few female college classmates have come out the closet on Myspace, Facebook, and other sites. As a former homophobe and a single Black woman, I expected to feel shock, surprise, even a bit scandalized to discovered some beautiful people I know are gay. I'm proud to say, I feel sincere happiness for my friends because I know it was hard to be anything other than themselves before coming-out. They are liberated now, and as a dreamer and a lover of love, I can't knock others' chance to be free to love whomever, however, whenever. In keeping it real though , I admit, I DID do some soul-searching to figure-out if it was merely coincidence that I'd been attracted to cultured pretty boys who later turned out to feel no physical attraction to me. I questioned myself and, in true egotist fashion, made other people's sexuality about me. I asked stuff like "What's wrong with me?" and "Why didn't I know all along." I wanted to know the etiquette of witnessing a "coming-out". Do I send a "Congrats, You're Gay" card or ignore the announcement? What do you say to a person who recently came-out (like they're a totally new person or something?) I made my own eyes roll with all my exposition and debate. Then, I got over it and am back to loving the memories I share with my old homies and the newness of them as we reconnect. I still make jokes about my defective gaydar. But it ain't Christian to judge, it isn't ladylike to talk about other's sex lives, and it's not my style to hate on others. Be yourselves, my little friends. I'm cool with you and your lifestyle.
"Why Is It?":
- ... people want to have pissing matches over who's seen/read/heard the latest movie/piece of gossip/book/article/single first? Can't we just discuss the latest thing like adults?
- ... some people don't know discretion and finesse, especially on the web?
- ... it felt like spring today in my city? Geez... beige folks had shorts and sandals on.
- ... my dad is starting a business that he wants my help building, but forgot to ask for my help?
- ... I'm REALLY looking forward to tax-time?
- ... the track-ball fell out of my Blackberry, and I can't replace it until Friday, so I'm stuck with my old-school Razr? It took me five minutes to answer a text from my best friend because I'm hooked on qwerty keyboards!
- ... my iPod is full and I'm trying to wait until July to get a new one?
Be easy, breezies!
1 comment:
I act like I don't know people are gay b/c its like don't ask me who I'm screwing and I won't ask you.
Go ahead and get your new Ipod girlie. You can accompany me while I get mines. I have decided on the Orange ipod Nano 16G. It sreams MEREDITH. Don't you think?
Post a Comment