When I posted this one, I was finally getting into a blog-groove and feeling confident about posting. This is the story of me and my best friend trying to take a girl's weekend getaway to the beach. The moral is that it didn't work out that weekend and I pouted. I also was doing the big-sister thing really tough - I freaked out when my baby sister took her first trip abroad. I'll always be my little sisters' second mother.
Anyhoo - we're about a third finished with the Throwback Blog project. It gets better as I go along. I'm really having a hard time resisting tweaking the old entries with hyperlinks, pics, and edits, though.
============================
Originally posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 at 3:31PM
Airport Hell / Mini-Vacay Shot to Pieces / Worried
Current mood: exhausted
Category: eyes are red Travel and Places
I got too excited...
I waited all week, got my little money together, booked my flight, and everything. I was going to Myrtle Beach to hang out with my home-girl Meredith and her family for a long weekend.
I was on my pretty way ...all was well in my world.
Until I woke up on Thursday morning and learned that those fools in London are trying to blow up airplanes and the big news was no longer shaking up our corrupt, lying government through primary elections and which celebrity is doing what. We're now focused on liquid bans, long lines at the airports, and the big scary words of the day - National security, Terrorism, Al-Quada.
My first thought:
"Oh no! K comes home from Scotland on Monday! What if? What if? I hope my family isn't freaking out!"
Second thought:
"Oh snap! I'm supposed to fly today! What if? What if? I hope I'm not freaking out!"
Third thought:
"Kellie! Flying! Terror! Scared! Whaaaaaaaaah!"
So yeah, I was already on shaky ground and I had to go to work - which is never easy.
And of course, just to wrap things up in a nice little bow, a good old-fashioned summer thunderstorm rolled through Atlanta and much of the Eastern seaboard, creating holy-heck at the nation's airports including the "busiest" in the country, Hartsfield-Jackson International.
We've flown free all my life because of my dad, and even though I'm no longer a dependent, I get greatly reduced standby rates when I need to fly. Keyword - STANDBY- which translates to "Shut up, sit down, wait for your name to be called, and be the last on the plane. Take what you get." Small price to pay, right? You're getting a free/nearly free ride.
If you're a standby flier, you learn the ropes - picks flights that depart really early in the morning or late at night, look for flights with lots of available seats, don't bring your ego to the airport, and finally, be prepared NOT to get on the plane. There's a good chance it won't happen. As stated earlier, I've been flying like this all my life. I've had lots of luck - have made 85 - 90% of the flights I've tried to get on. Blessings flow.
Yesterday was not the day to be flying standby to one of the south's biggest cities (Charlotte). Many flights got delayed by hours or flat-out cancelled. Irate passengers, crowded concourses and long wait-times were compounded by new security regulations (no liquids or gels allowed on any aircraft). I was mad, because I basically dumped my entire toiletry-case into my suitcase and checked it. No MAC lipglass, no hand lotion, not even my Carmex, dog. Talk about pissed to the highest level of pissivity.
Needless to say, I didn't make the flight and I've got dry, chapped smackers. I stayed in the terminal all night, trying to be cute sprawled out on the fake leather airport chairs, thinking, "If I wait long enough, maybe God will give me Standby Favor™, and my name will be called to get on this last flight to Charlotte and Meredith won't have to be squatting at her Dad's condo, waiting on me."
Alas, finally, at 6 AM and after realizing that my suitcase is now in baggage-limbo, I sat at yet another crowded gate, slowly realizing that there are more paying customers trying to get on this flight than seats on the plane. My name will not be called, and my ride to Myrtle Beach will be leaving without me. (Sob, sniffle, snort...)
Of course by this time, my mobile is quickly dying. My dad calls me to tell me to get out of line, go to baggage claim and file a bag-resend request. Trip postponed - I'm missing at least a day at the beach. I'm feeling PITIFUL- body all aching and racked with pain (shout outs to 'Old Man River'). The mobile dies and I'm schlepping home on MARTA.
And I'm worried about my baby sister. All my prayer warriors - do your stuff!
Anyhoo...I may or may not be beach-side tomorrow. I wanna go to the beach and hang with my friend! WHAAAAAAAH! :-( Be easy, breezies!
praying and typing DO mix, y'all:
Dear Father,
In these times of trouble and discord, help me to stay focused on you and your blessings. Please heal those people whose minds are set on hate and destruction and help our leaders to make sound and just decisions. Keep me safe, Father, and lighten my heart. Lead me through the confusion and weariness, and give me the strength to trust in Your plan. Keep my family safe and bring both my sisters home to me, if it is your will. Keep the traveling public calm and secure, always reminding us of your Ultimate Control. Thank you for blessing me and being my Rock. In your precious name, AMEN.
Currently listening : Dirty Harry By Gorillaz Release date: 31 January, 2006
3:31 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos
No comments:
Post a Comment