I'm trying to speed this project along, so expect more frequent throwback posts. This post was run-of-the-mill, but I giggled reading my description of on of my favorite films, Funny Face. Also, I'm mad it only just occurred to me that I should be subject-tagging these throwbacks. If I'm ever bored one day, I may, but for now I'mma let it be.
Be easy, breezies.
================================
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 at 1:12am
irritating/gratifying/humbling/terrifying things
Current mood: energetic
things that are...
irritating - Those Audrey Hepburn Gap ads (skinny pants are supposed to in this season, right? whatever).
If you truly know me, you know I've been a musical-watchin' fool since i was a wee one (from Busby Berkley to Rodgers/Hammerstien right on up to Idlewild). So imagine my excitement when I found out Gap was going to give one of my favorite 1950's musicals, Funny Face, some shine. In the film, which story centers around the fashion-magazine industry, Hepburn and an old-looking Fred Astaire find romance. Audrey's a bookish beatnik, who does a Cinderella and turns into a knock-out model creature (think an intellectual Top Model).
Die-hard Alpha Kappa Alpha women like me love this film because this is where that well-used phrase "Think Pink" was born. The dancing is great, the songs are Irving Berlin (wonderful and simple), and the movie is beautiful.
Anyhoo, Gap pimped the movie, but Audrey's dancing comes across as dorky, herky-jerky spasms. In the scene they chopped up, she's happy because she free and finally able to express all her pent-up emotion. Every time the ad comes on, I have to turn the channel to avoid slamming my head on the nearest surface. Maybe I'm a show-snob, but what does this ad have to do with black pants? Nevermind, I was a mass communications major - I know the answer. Nothing.
gratifying - reconnecting with a close friend and begging her to get addicted to myspace, [whatchu waitin' on, girl ;-)], supporting a good friend who's going through a rough time, holding the family together while my mom's sick and watching her get better, my relationship with my sisters
humbling - daily reminders that I'm not where I thought I'd be at this stage in life, my bank account, God's majesty
terrifying - realizing I'd hurt a good friend unintentionally, geo-politics, the absolute mess that is my house right now, that a family friend got bit by a spider and wound up in the hospital for close to a week with a serious infection (and she doesn't know when or even what kind of spider it was - eeepppp!)
------------------------------------------------
Proust Question:
Q: What is your principle defect?
A. Physical - eyesight (weight isn't a defect, it's a limitation that can be remedied), Personality-wise - procrastination
Currently listening : Exodus By Bob Marley & the Wailers Release date: 13 November, 2001
1:12 AM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos
No comments:
Post a Comment