Monday, August 10, 2009

Throwback Blog #34

In my quest to free myself from Myspace, expect to see higher frequency of these. Only to perhaps one day, move the entire blog over to another venue. See the vicious-cycle beginning to churn? Sheesh. Anyway, this entry is true to the title - incoherent and random, but it's what I needed to post at the time. It's weird to read where my head was focuses two years ago. I've changed a lot since then, but yet the thought pattern remains the same - the arts, sports, current affairs, and travel STAY on my mind. Nothing wrong with that, at all.
=================
Originally posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 5:43PM
Incoherent, but feel me anyway.
Current mood: hopeful

"The world listens to jazz, to Luther, to Aretha, to Stevie, to get a taste of what freedom should be like." - Cornel West, who has an album coming out that I may have to pick up. Read his work and get schooled.
=============================
This time of year means new music, which I'm always searching for listening to. What a beautiful addiction.
~ Common and Talib Kweli remain in rotation. I still scour the MP3 blogs for stuff I haven't heard. I always return to Prince, Michael Jackson, and Ella Fitzgerald.
~ On Sept. 11th - It's Kanye for me. I'm strutting to "Flashing Lights" as we speak. Sorry $.50.
~ On Sept. 18th - Jill Scott's Real Thing, in which I will toast with a glass of Crown Royal on ice. Tee-hee
~ I really feel The Good, The Bad, and The Queen, just because I like the guy from Blur. I'm going to miss Gorillaz.
~ Josh Groban has this song I love - Don't Give Up (You Are Loved). I know he's slightly corn-ball, but I love corn-ball. You better get ready to hear this one on American Idol auditions and at the karaoke bar ad nauseum.

Basically, I'm taking a lot of my musical cues from that Sundance show, Live from Abbey Road. I watch that channel incessantly. Maybe I can get to the film festival some day? Check for "The Education of Miss Groves", which is a documentary filmed at my neighborhood middle-school, Jean Childs Young. It's heart-wrenching.
=======================================
My travel-obsession continues to reach new heights. Basically, I'm trying to go everywhere, even if my wallet protests in agony.

I wanna go here: The Library Hotel in New York City. This is right up my alley, being a bibliophile and all. When I visit, I want to go to the Algonqin Hotel, see The Lion King, The Color Purple, and something else. Do some more tourist stuff. I still haven't gone to the Schomberg, Lady Liberty, 5th Avenue, MOMA, or the New York Public Library. I wanna go get that chocolate thing I saw on Oprah last year. Meredith and I are supposed to do a fashion trip to NYC eventually, but it seems like everything is coming down here anyway. Atlanta gets an H&M this winter. I can't fit much in there, because I'm a chubette, but I still get my shop on with shoes, accessories, bags, and the odd top or jacket.

Travel wants: I want to return to Hawaii with my sisters and relive our '88 family vacation. Disney World has changed so much since I was there last. I may have to make that a trip every few years, tourist traps and all. Since learning about our Cayman ancestry, my sisters and I will have to visit the Cayman Islands at some point, I guess. Also, I'm fixated with going to Cuba, just because the government says I can't. (Should I be admitting that?)

Upcoming trips
Late Sept. - Philly for Ceora's wedding
Oct. - Colombia, SC
February - Tampa, FL for AKA-SARC 2008
March or April - Seattle, WA with K
July - Washington D.C. for AKA Centennial
2009 - Europe with Kellie/Meredith/Tracee?
2010 - Cruise? AKA Boule
=======================================
It's Mercedes Benz Fashion Weekin New York this week. There, they will determine next spring's fashion trends, which I find cool, but bizarre. Fashion is really a calculated machine, but I wish so many people weren't programmed just follow the trends and not develop their own style. My baby-sister is a fashion major at AU, so I'm focusing on this field at the moment. I'm buying fall clothes because I'm severely lacking in the wardrobe department. Have you ever gone to get dressed, only to realize you hate everything in your closet? That's were I am right now. Usually, I'll wear out an outfit until it's unrecognizable and tired. But thangs done changed. Here's my must haves:
~ Blazers,
~ a fuzzy hat,
~ shoes of all kinds,
~ a good leather handbag,
~ some cute blouses,
~ hot boot-cut pants,
~ some hooker-stilettos for special occasions. Maybe crimson or a florescent color.

I'm addicted to Etsy, this hand-crafted goods website. I've bought too much there already.
=====================

Are you ready for some football? I still love the Falcons, even with that Vick mess. Stupid mistakes can ruin good things. And of course, the race-card has been played, which is always sticky. I'm convinced America (especially my beloved South) will never heal from our race issues. But really, do we want to?
I was watching the Track & Field World Championships last week with my mom. It's been decades now, and the US is still dominating international sports. No wonder we're so hated. Those athletes are inspiring me to get off my duff and move it. Tyson Gay is the MAN. Next year's Olympics in Beijing should be interesting, with all the politics and the pollution. How did they win these Games?
=========================

Why is it that all the embracing of other people I've done is paying off when I need it the most? I've been going through it lately and a few key people have truly been here for me. I love you for that and it humbles me. Thanks.
=====================

As always, be easy breezies! Autumn cometh, and it's my favorite season. Be encouraged.

Currently listening : Finding Forever By Common Release date: 31 July, 2007
5:43 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos

No comments:

Visits