Doing okay, today.
Had a long conversation at work with this old professor of mine from Round One of grad school. He's an elderly Indian guy who I used to abhor, and he's part of the reason I haven't finished my program. But, during our conversation, I forgave him and came to realize how I played the major part in the conflict that helped me not finish.
Somehow, our conversation turned to Britney Spears (he thinks she's bereft of morals and is a signal of America's decline as a nation of principles; I think just think she's annoying) and Indian epic literature. It was a had-to-be-there thing, because the correlation made perfect sense at the time.
Overall, he explained how much Middle Eastern and Asian literature exists and the fact that it is ignored by Western academia. So I was intrigued and started doing some digging to see what's available in my own library.
I'm interested in reading these- Shahnameh, from Iran, and Ramayana, a Hindu scripture that talks about Sita, an incarnation of the Hindu deity Lakshmi, whom my professor schooled me on for 30 minutes. It was a very intriguing convo, even if his accent is so thick, I only understood ever other word.
Still - I had a catharsis moment, so "Yay"!
-----------------------------------------------------
Originally posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 at 8:08AM (why was I blogging that early in the dang morning? I have no idea, people. Looking at the blog date, I know I was in the throes of a two-year bout of insomnia. So yeah, I probably hadn't even been to bed yet. I'm so glad that phase of my life is over. Sleep is my best friend these days.)
Dead Page Resurrected
Current mood: tired
When I heard Fox bought this mamma-jamma, I jumped ship and headed to LiveJournal. Then, my mother called me freaking out about the MySpace Murder and the potential for my baby-sister to be victimized here. So, yeah, I was here on MS as a spy, checking to make sure my little sister didn't have pervs as her friends. (Who am I - Gestapo or something?)
Then, I found out ?uestlove of The Roots and Martinis Con Queso from WRAS 88.5 in Atlanta had MySpaces pages. So I'm back in the belly of the conservative zeitgeist. Go figure, mayne.
My LJ is cooler, though.
Currently listening : Come Dance With Me By Frank Sinatra Release date: 26 May, 1998
8:08 AM
----------------------------------------
Things I'm Feeling
My scarf
Cantaloupe
Discretion

No comments:
Post a Comment