Thursday, December 18, 2008

Faux Twitter, Thinking Prop 8

At work, trying to put the finishing touches on 2008. I have the rest of the year off and I'm soooooo looking forward to it. My desk WILL be cleaned off before I leave this library tomorrow. Decided to check out a stack of books to read during the break. Weather's dreary, but I'm feeling cheery.
====================

I covet this bag soooooo much. I splurged and bought myself one Seatbelt Bag for autumn and have officially fallen in love. But I hope these things don't reach Vera Bradley craze proportions. That would turn me off, with my bourgeois need to be exclusive.

===========================

I'm on a news-diet, so I have no idea what's going in the world this week, except that apparently there's a war raging between gays and black folk because of the Proposition-8 stuff and the guy Obama chose to give the invocation at the upcoming inauguration.

(Links for ya: http://inaugural.senate.gov/, http://www.pic2009.org/content/home/, and the New York Times Inauguration Index)

Didn't get the memo, but this saddens me. While I'm an arrow-girl, I'm slowly realizing the stupidity of this debate. The gay struggle will never be the Black struggle, but I can respect and even sympathize with the quest for rights by anybody's who's oppressed. Personally, I don't care who sleeps, stays, or has union with whom. I'm focused on me and mine, firmly fixed on the average-sista-worrying-about-meeting-and-marrying-a-straight-brutha-who-loves-me thing. But, I'm not scared of homosexuality. I believe in the Golden Rule and in equality for all, so I respect anybody regardless. I wasn't always such, being first naive and homophobic, then feeling a big dose of guilt and sadness for gay people. I've been learning about gay people, particularly those of color, and following new developments. My mind is open and I'm practicing what I preach. I respect the gay civil rights movement and would have voted "No" on Proposition 8, if I could have.

Whom I DON'T respect is anyone who wants me to automatically support them simply because they identify with me. I don't respect people comparing the stories of my ancestors with their's as a way to absolve themselves of debate. Basically, the finger-pointing and backlash hurts my feelings - but then, it doesn't endear me to the cause, either. There. I feel better having thrown my opinion out here.
================

Back to work, so I can be free for the holidays.

Be easy, breezies. The weekend, approacheth.

Listening to: Prince, "Delirious"

No comments:

Visits