After re-reading this, I felt really hypocritical and guilty. I definitely believe in people taking pride in their appearance and being well-groomed. But I was too harsh and judgemental when I wrote this. Mea culpa.
Oh yeah, and the original had several spelling errors that I was too embarrassed not to fix. I have a mental block that makes me always invert the letters "e" and "i" in the word "their". I've always done that, no matter how often I try to fix it. SMH. I too can be functionally illiterate when it comes to basic grammar. Also, I've changed the original formatting because I went font and spacing-crazy when I wrote it on Myspace. It made my eyes hurt to reread it. If you saw the original, you'd thank me.
Be easy, breezies!
===============================
Originally posted Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 3:57pm
Black Folks...
No current mood set
Black folks... I wanna rap with you for just a taste...When did it become okay for us to let our children walk around looking DIRTY?
I'm not talking about the little hoochie-cutter outfits girls like to wear or fashion trends like baggy pants and multi-logo outfits. I'm open-minded about fashion-choices because I have seen discrimination based on apparel, race, size, and neighborhood. It's ugly and close-minded. I've always been a proponent of the "DO YOU" mentality, because I hate stereotypes and snobbery based on fashion.
What do I wear, you ask? I'm a pearl-girl with bohemian tendencies. My daily uniform is a cross between tribal bush woman/AKA on acid/conservative soccer mom and smart Southerner who knows when it's too hot to wear denim. Think Jill Scott, not Mo'Nique, y'all. I'm not even a snob about bags and shoes, because the fashion industry is a CON-spiracy to get you to pay hundreds of dollars for items that are made in the same factories as the stuff sold in the local Target or Wally-World. But y'all....
Really, y'all............. DIRTY BABIES ARE NOT OKAY.
Is lack of hygiene the new trend amongst the under-21 crowd? I've been noticing this lately in public:
- Dirty grills,
- messy, smelly hair
- Ashy skin
- Bright makeup on
- oily, dirty skin
- Crud-filled fingernails
Am I making you as ill as I feel? I saw babies today in the mall with:
- Three-month old greasy, nasty acrylic tips on their prepubescent, twelve-year old hands.
- Dry, thirsty French roll hairstyles left over from the middle-school prom.
- Dingy hair scarves covering their brows.
- Dusty, fake high-heeled Timberland boots from four years ago.
- Junior Nelly 'grill' kits in their mouth, eerily similar to tin-foil from Mama's kitchen.
Yes, Mama or some adult was with them, chastising their wild behavior loudly. But, it's obvious she didn't censor the appearance before everybody left home. Didn't make the babies wash their faces or run a comb through their hair. Didn't stop and think, "These are future leaders, doctors, lawyers, teachers, professionals. Let me make sure the world knows they are loved and cared-for." The adults obviously didn't instill self-pride in the babies. It frustrated me to no end.
Backgrounds vary, I know. Personal style is just that - PERSONAL. Times have changed. People dress differently, so get over it. But for the love of all things holy - let's make our babies groom themselves.
No over-plucked eyebrows at 16, or teeth bleaching before college. No French manicures for all, and the same Caesar hair-cuts on every young Black girl and boy. Just soap; water; lotion; visible, clean teeth; and clean hair, clothes, and shoes. THE BASICS, folks.
Judging people based on looks is not my thing, but I have a thing about personal hygiene and grooming. No matter if your style is "urban", "ghetto-fabulous", "sexy-chic", any look gleaned from a magazine or celebrities, I'm happy for you. I'm proud that hip-hop culture, appreciation for past-decades, and high fashion are so influential when it comes to our wardrobe options. I really believe in self-expression and wearing what you can afford. But, please...save our children from themselves and stop the slovenly stuff. Make 'em clean up and look their best . It affects how people treat them and doesn't instill self-love.
I'm vexed. Maybe I'm just getting older. Jumping off the soapbox, now.
Heavenly Father, help my people. We need your Guidance. Amen
3:57 PM - 2 Comments - 1 Kudos
The kudo was from one of my sorority sisters, Ceora. I love her like my own sister. She also posted two comments, but one was an error, so I left it off.
Mrs. LyrakaL
That's my rowsbelle, always the Mother Pearl. And you are right on point with this one girl. Dirty babies is unacceptable. I think it's a generational thing. Women are having children at younger ages and some just don't instill proper hygiene. Some of these older children should be able to look in the mirror and SEE that somethings lacking. So you hit the nose on the head.
No comments:
Post a Comment